The Mountain of Judah
and the Shephelah
63. Kapheruta ? - (Kh. Kafr Ruth)
Moshav in the Judean Foothills 5 km North of Mevo Horon, Name for an ancient settlement mentioned in the Madaba map and called Capheruta, The name was also retained and somewhat distorted in the now ruined adjacent Kh. Kefr Lut. Moshav founded in 1977.
Carta's Official Guide to Israel, s. v. "Kefar Rut".
Michael Avi-Yonah (The Madaba Mosaic Map, Jerusalem 1954, 60-61)
According to the revised text of the map published by P. O'Callaghan only the 'ph' is missing in this name. This locality is not mentioned in any other source; it is usually identified with Khirbet Kafr Rut or Lut, where remains of a road station have been found (Kuhl-Meinhold, Palästinajahrb., 1929, p. 113f). The proposed corrigendum of P. O'Callaghan: To ennaton a[ai B]er[ou]ta (Biblica, 1951, pp. 57-64) seems doubtful for two reasons: firstly, it involves the correction of seven miles to nine (s.v Beroth, On. 48,10); secondly, it would be the only case in the map in which only the contemporary name of a Biblical locality would be mentioned, and moreover in conjunction with another contemporary name. As could be verified on the photograph of the map in the Ecole des Hautes Etudes, the space between KA (incorrectly given as K in Palmer-Guthe's copy) is indeed too wide for normal letters, but a 'ph', might be often wider than normal.
Herbert Donner (The Mosaic Map of Madaba, Kampen 1992, 53)
Remains of a name, damaged and roughly repaired, which cannot be restored.
Israel Roll (in The Madaba Map Centenary, 112)
Several sites depicted on the mosaic map of Madaba indicate that its makers used data drawn from road-maps and itineraria. Between Jerusalem and Jaffa, a series of places known to be located along the two connecting highways between them, are shown on that map. These are: Bethoron, Kaperouta, Modeim, Adita and Lydda/Diospolis, which bordered, in that sequence, the northern highway - known as the Bethoron road. Also are mentioned Nicopolis, Enataba and Betoannaba, that belonged to the parallel southern road, via Emmaus. The very mentioning of two mile-stations, the fourth (to tetarton), and the ninth (to ennaton), clearly indicate a road-map origin. Those two sites could be identified with two traditional road-stations of the southern highway which possessed plenty of water, that is, Colonia (today Motza) located at the distance of four miles from Jerusalem, and Kiriat Jearim (today Abu Ghosh) - at nine miles from it.
See the complete article: "The Roads in Roman-Byzantine Palaestina and Arabia", by Israel Roll
For more sources and bibliography see:
Tabula Imperii Romani. Iudaea - Palaestina (Jerusalem 1994) s.v. "Caphar Ruta", 99.
Map Section 6 Place Sources